On this page is a collection of fun polar bear facts
- The biggest threat to polar bears today is not hunting but the effects of global warming and pollution
- Polar bears have a black skin and their hairs are actually colourless. The fact they look white is the fact that their thick hollow hairs reflect light making them appear white
- Polar bears like to keep themselves clean. After feeding they usually wash by taking a swim or rolling in the snow
- Polar bears do overheat. They are perfectly adapted for the extremely cold temperatures of the Arctic. But outside of these cold temperatures polar bears have a problem of overheating
- Polar bears are excellent swimmers. Polar bears can comfortably swim at a speed of 6 miles per hour. They use their front paws like oars while holding their back legs straight to act as a rudder as they swim.
- Polar Bears have a excellent sense of smell. They can detect seals which are there main source of food from almost 1 km away
- When they are first born baby polar bears weigh about the same as an adult guinea pig
- Polar bears learn to freeze and remain still while their mother hunts.
- Polar bears paws have pads with a rough surface which prevent them from slipping up on the ice
- Polar Bears fur is oily. This makes it water repellent allowing the polar bear to shake themselves dry after they have finished swimming.
- Polar bears can swim for up to 100 miles
- Female polar bears do not start having cubs until they are about four or five years old
- Female polar bears would also rather build their maternity dens in snow from the previous year rather than fresh snow
- Adult male polar bears can grow to be ten feet tall and can weigh over 1400 pounds.
You can read more polar bear facts here
Also check out polar bear endangered